April 14, 2011

A few weeks ago I watched the movie Catfish. I had not heard about it, and I was intrigued to watch the story unfold, documentary-style -- a story of a woman yearning so intently for something different in her life that she went to unbelievable lengths to escape, if only in her mind.

It is a movie I will not forget, to be sure.

Because I can identify.

OK, so I wouldn't have done what she did --and I don't want to spoil the movie for those who may be hitting up a Redbox soon.

But ..... I know that feeling. That feeling of wanting something more ... needing something more than what makes up your life.

And even just saying that brings on the guilt--because I have many blessings in my life.

But I have been through my share of sadness, too. And I have learned lessons that I wish I had never had reason to learn. Here was the most difficult: as much as it hurts to see your child suffer with a disability, there are things that hurt much worse. And sometimes, you so badly want your life to be different, that it can reach desperate levels, like it did for the woman in that movie.

So, I don't know what others might think of what she did. I certainly don't approve. But I understand what motivated her.

I wish I didn't.

6 comments:

  1. Wow, that truly sounds like a movie about me or at least the way I've been feeling lately. I don't know what she did but I am going to have to watch it to see if I am anywhere near to the edge of my limits yet. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I rented this off of Netflix a while ago- I had heard all the hype and was excited- didn't realize there was going to be a tie in to special needs- but yeah, I definitely didn't look at her as it was a "bad" thing that she did...I get it :/

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know you have no clue who I am, but your father was my sub today in school. We sat down almost the whole class just talking to one another. He told me heart warming stories, to ones that wanted to make me cry. He spoke so highly of you! He talked about his grandchildren so much told me funny stories about your daughter and told me how your son loves to swim. He showed me pictures of them in his wallet, and he told me hilarious jokes. I have been reading your blogs so far and they are amazing! Your father told me how you are amazing writer and he is very write. I loved that I had the privilege of meeting him, and listening to all of his wonderful stories! (:

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mark Twain (Samuel Clemens) once said, "I am a much better man than George Washington. He could not tell a lie. I choose not to." And therin lies the tale. And the difference. Having the choices is no indication of worth. The choices you've made are. Something my ex-wife never understood. When she gave up the difficult parts she lost everything else. I not only recognized the choices, but understood what motivated her to make them the way she did. I just came to different decisions than she did. I'm pretty sure you understand what I mean.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm going to have to rent that movie, aren't I?!
    You know that I get it...completely.
    Hope you are well. Talk is a-brewin' again about us moving back that way next year if we can sell this house. We'll see!

    ReplyDelete