October 7, 2010

Star Light, Star Bright

My daughter recently asked me to help her wish on a star.

Where did she learn that concept, I wondered????

TV? A book? A friend?

I just know it wasn't me.

Sigh ....

Add it to the list of things I should have thought of to teach her but didn't...

Anyway, how delightful that she wants to do this -- to say the words I used to say when I was little, words I used to believe in ...

Just like I beleived in Santa and the Tooth Fairy ...

Just like I believed in magic.

So, off we went to the driveway and we said the words together:

Star light, Star bright
First star I see tonight
I wish I may, I wish I might
Have this wish I wish tonight


She asked to say it again.

No, just one wish each night, I told her. Only on the first star you see.

If only ...

If only it were that simple ....

And, yet, I found myself wishing with my daugher that night.

And I wished again when she asked the next night.

I closed my eyes and said the words I thought in my head... and felt in my heart.

It wasn't even her brother for whom I wished ..

even though I would give anything, do anything, to see him no longer struggle with this horrible thing called autism.

No, it was not my boy for whom I wished ...

even though I wish for him all the time.

It was for someone else.

If only it were that simple ....

No comments:

Post a Comment