August 19, 2010

Seven Years Ago Tonight




Seven years ago tonight,

I sat in a hospital room and stared at you,



not having any idea of the lessons you would teach me.

I realized that I knew very little about being a mother.

But I had no idea just how much I would need to learn.

I am still learning.

Seven years ago tonight,

I thought you were the most beautiful baby ever born.

I have discovered so much in seven years.

I have felt pain that is immeasurable.

And even more joy.

I have worried endlessly, and learned how to put the worry on a shelf.

But some things remain the same.

I still believe you were the most beautiful baby ever born.

5 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday to your beautiful baby boy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday beautifull boy! And Happy BIRTH day to you leah xxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy birthday to him!!!! My baby's birthdays are always so bittersweet to me :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, everybody! His birthday was actually the 18th, and I wrote that super late on the 18th, or perhaps super early on the 19th!! I couldn't let his bday go by without some kind of acknowledgement, but it is so hard for me to put my thoughts into writing this year. The number SEVEN just blows my mind when I think about how much he has had to struggle.

    He had a fun birthday party last weekend and a nice little celebration at his school on the actual day, so, for all of that, I am VERY grateful!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Leah, look at that sweet baby boy. I love his lips. Looks just like him now :)

    ReplyDelete