November 17, 2010

Joyful Curls

My daughter wants her hair curled.

It is not national news.

Reporters aren't beating down my door for a sound-bite.

But it is one stinkin' big deal to me.

My girl, my don't-wash-or-brush-or-fix-my-hair-daughter, WANTS HER HAIR CURLED.

What happened?

She climbed into her car-seat Monday after school and started talking about her role in the school Christmas pageant next month.

And she said the words that nearly caused me to drive off the road:

Mommy, will you curl my hair for the Christmas show?

Ah, heck yes!!!!!

The next day was a repeat performance.

Mommy, will you curl my hair for the Christmas show?

Will you curl it when we get home?


I am not sure what brought all of this on.

But I found that rarely-used curling iron and curled her hair.

AND THEN SHE ASKED ME TO PAINT HER FINGER NAILS.

I am loving this.

And I ain't even THAT girly of a girl.

Olivia, thank you, thank you, thank you.

For these moments when I can just be a mother paiting her girl's finger-nails.

I will curl your hair every day if you want me to.

And I will inwardly cringe some day when you decide you are old enough to do it yourself.

Thank you, dear daughter, for these moments of pure joy.

2 comments:

  1. This brought a tear to my eye! Beautiful! My nephew was recently dx with autism and I am taking a look at different blogs for encouragement. You have encouraged me today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Faith,
    I wonder if I gave you the impression that my daughter has autism? It is actually my son who deals with autism, although my daughter certainly gives me pause sometimes! :)

    My daughter has all the drama of Scarlett O'Hara and all the obstinance of a pack of mules. She keeps me on my toes, but I wouldn't have her any other way. She has never wanted in any part of hair-fixing, as anybody who knows her from school can attest. So I am just so delighted that, for whatever reason, she now will let me fix it. I miss out on so many of the anticipated mother-son moments, that it is wonderful to have the special mother-daughter moments with my amazing girl.

    If you, or anybody in your family ever wants to email me personally to ask questions about my experienes with autism, PLEASE feel free to do so.

    And thanks for reading,
    Leah

    ReplyDelete